Thursday, July 26, 2012

CAFE Posters

As I mentioned in my previous post, last year was my first attempt at using Daily 5 and CAFE in my classroom of third graders.  Although Daily 5 helped me organize my reading block more effectively, CAFE allowed me to organize the many, many skills and strategies that are needed to be a good reader.  Having the strategies and skills posted for both myself and the students to refer to really enhanced all areas of my reading instruction.  I was able to refer to the strategies during whole group, guided reading groups, and individual conferencing.  My student teacher also enjoyed using the CAFE system, and said that as someone just beginning a career in teaching, it helped her make sense of the complex task of teaching reading.

This year, although I am still using the four CAFE areas of Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expanding Vocabulary, I am going to switch the letters around to spell FACE instead.  It's a trend I've noticed popping up on a lot of other blogs, and I am attracted to the idea of telling students that these skills and strategies are the "FACE of a Reader."  Instead of offering them the skills and strategies as menu options, which is the idea behind CAFE, students need to know that they should be able to use all of the skills and strategies at any needed time.  Sort of like how our face is always equipped with eyes, nose, ears, mouth, etc., but we don't use them all the time, and each serves a specific purpose.  So no disrespect intended to Gail Boushey and Joan Moser, because it is their creation after all, but I think I will try this little switcheroo this year.  Same skills and strategies, just a different way of presenting them to the students.

I made new sports themed CAFE/FACE posters for the new school year that are available for free in my Teachers pay Teachers store.  For more information on the CAFE system, please visit the Sisters' website, or refer to their published work, The CAFE Book.





No comments:

Post a Comment