Saturday, June 3, 2017

My Summer Reading: Renewed and Re-Inspired


When I was growing up, my bicycle was my ticket to freedom.  We lived in a small town and a kid could get just about anywhere with just 2 wheels.  My bike took me a lot of places, but one of my most frequent stops was the local library.  On any given summer day I could be seen pedaling my way down the uneven, bumpy sidewalks, past our town park and grain elevator, to the library, which was about three blocks away from my home.  My tan canvas bag would hang from one handlebar, so loaded with books that it would pull my bike to one side, making it a challenge to navigate those bumpy sidewalks I mentioned.  But once I arrived at the library I parked my bike and reveled in the cool air conditioning inside, and the shelves and shelves of books at my disposal.  I read and re-read anything and everything, with a particular affinity for Roald Dahl, Nancy Drew, and biographies.  After carefully selecting my next pile of reading material I then pedaled my way home again to spend my afternoons with my new pile of books.  I lost myself in the pages, going on countless adventures with characters that were as real to me as any of my friends I pedaled around town with in the coolness of the evenings.

As I got older, my love for reading never waned, but it changed some in tone.  Out of necessity, I began reading more technical literature in high school and college, but still made time for "pleasure" reading.  This never really changed until I had children.  Although even then, with one child, I was still able to find time to read, if only in the summer.  But once our second child came along, the amount of reading I was able to do was reduced to one or two professional books, in the summertime.  Now with three children, my reading has become non-existent, unless you count the numerous audiobooks I listen to, a result of the hour commute I have each day.  Audiobooks have become my only source of reading these days, and that makes me sad.

I haven't lost my love of reading.  It has just taken a backseat to other priorities that have evolved from my recent seasons of life.  But this summer, I am making a renewed commitment to my reading passion.  I have a pile of books - yes, a pile! - on my nightstand that I intend to plow through this summer.  Granted, many of them are professional reading, but reading is reading.

There are two themes to my summer reading list: teaching/parenting and food/nutrition.   Here's a snapshot of what's on my book lists, along with a brief explanation of why each book made the cut:

FOOD AND NUTRITION
It Starts With Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways by Dallas Hartwig and Melissa Hart

*I had purchased this audiobook with an Audible credit, but didn't finish it before the school year was up.  Plus, it's loaded with technical information, so I need to reread it to fully grasp everything being taught in this book.


The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig

*After listening to most of It Starts With Food, I was interested to learn more about the Whole30 program.


The Whole30 Cookbook: 150 Delicious and Totally Compliant Recipes to Help You Succeed with the Whole30 and Beyond by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig.

*Okay, technically a cookbook probably doesn't count as reading, but it looks like there is a lot of great information stuffed between those recipes!


The Unhealthy Truth: One Mother's Shocking Investigation into the Dangers of America's Food Supply-- and What Every Family Can Do to Protect Itself by Robyn O'Brien

*I've been doing some research into the toxic chemicals found in our food, and am curious about what this mom has to say.


In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

*Lisa Leake, creator of the 100 Days of Real Food, mentioned this book on her blog, so I thought it was worth taking a look at.

TEACHING AND PARENTING


The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. and Tina Payne Bryson

*I've heard bits and pieces about whole-brain teaching, but haven't really read anything solid, so this was added to the list.


Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings by Kenneth R. Ginsburg MD FAAP

*2 years ago our district received Trauma Informed Care training, and this book was mentioned.  Plus, the population of students that I serve could greatly benefit from strategies to build resiliency.


21st Century Skills: Rethinking How Students Learn (Leading Edge) by James Bellanca and Ron Brandt

*Teaching 21st century skills is quickly becoming a movement in my district, so I wanted to read up a little more this summer.


21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times by Bernie Trilling and Charles Fadel

*Ditto the book above.


The Growth Mindset Coach: A Teacher's Month-by-Month Handbook for Empowering Students to Achieve by Annie Brock and Heather Hundley

*My building is becoming an official Leader in Me school this year!  I have read almost all the literature written by Dr. Covey, and decided that more research into coaching a growth mindset might be the next logical course of action.


Teaching Kids to Think: Raising Confident, Independent, and Thoughtful Children in an Age of Instant Gratification by Darlene Sweetland and Ron Stolberg

*This title grabbed me with words like "think", "confident", "independent", "thoughtful" and "instant gratification".

So...that's 11 books.  Yikes!

The good news is that one of them is almost finished already since I listened to a good chunk of it in May, and one is a cookbook.  I have 2 of them packed to take on our family vacation (we are driving to Disney and back).  I also have a 4 day trip to Boston at the end of July for a teaching conference, and I'll need something to take my mind off of a) the plane ride and b) missing my kids and husband.

I'm so excited to dive into these books, and I'm hoping that I can share my opinion of each book after it's finished.  Look for a review of It Starts With Food soon!

Happy June, and I hope your summer is full of relaxation and of course, reading!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment